Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sex and the Center


I ran across this article on BeliefNet today and it definitely put a bug in my bonnet.

It's a pretty lengthy article and I'd love for you to read it in its entirety but for those of you who have other things to do (like go to class and stuff) I've put a small excerpt here that will give you the basic idea.

"There is a trend among people my age to separate their faith from Church teachings on issues of sexuality. I believe one of the main reasons for this disconnect is that the Church does not provide any guidance regarding sexuality for unmarried young adults other than "Don't do it!" Although remaining chaste until marriage is no doubt a beautiful and romantic experience for those who choose it, not everyone follows this path. In my experience, premarital sex on college campuses is not the exception, but the rule.

So how does a predominantly Catholic student body at a Jesuit school justify disobeying this tenet of the Church? The answer seems to be that they don't. I don't believe young people are simply ignoring this teaching so they can do what they want and go to confession later."


She goes on (and on) to say that instead of imposing these unrealistic standards on young adults the Church should in fact make the distinction between debaucherous one night stands and pre-marital sex in committed relationships. Yeah. I find it especially interesting that she begins her article talking about how difficult it is to go out and get drunk every week and then still make it to Mass on Sunday and how because everyone her age is doing that same thing the Church is clearly misguided on the kind of support they should be giving her generation. Ugh. I don't think I really need to pontificate on how rediculous this all sounds but you know I will anyway.

Look, it's not like I'm denying that this lifestyle and thought is the mindset of the majority of young adults...of Catholic young adults even. Shoot, it was my way of thinking in college for sure, and I'm not so naive to think that it's not the lifestyle and though of many who frequent our very own Catholic student center. My point is, since when do the misguided passions of the majority suddenly make it ok to change truth?

Is it a struggle? YES. Is it something that needs to be handled with love and patience? YES. Is the Church doing all she can to guide her children in charity and truth. YES, theologically anyway. I will be the first one to admit that sometimes the 'people' in the Church can be jerks about things. But it only takes a search bar and google to find out that she has given mountains and mountains of beautiful relevant teaching on the matter, far far surpassing "Don't Do it".

Instead of throwing in the towel on the subject and saying "ah well, they're gonna do it anyway, atleast it's with someone they 'love'. Lets give young adults the benefit of the doubt that if they are smart enough to be in college in the first place, they are smart enough to realize that the things that they 'feel' like doing arent always the good, true and beautiful. A little bit of prayer and some redemptive suffering can go a long way and I promise you'll be a better and happier person for it. Lets learn to forgive ourselves for the sins of our past and forgive others for the ways in which they've hurt us, repent, move on and begin again on the path to sainthood.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness." I will rather boast most gladly of my weaknesses, in order that the power of Christ may dwell with me." 2Corinthians 12:9

NB: The article I quoted was written by a young adult named Julia Tier who writes for a young adult Catholic website called Busted Halo. A website run by the Paulists that lets just say I would never use as a source or inspiration for any event here at the Catholic student center. I'm not saying EVERYTHING on it is horrible but some of it is questionable at best. The concept of the site is excellent actually and I wish that it were a place we could trust to be faithful on all fronts but as they themselves have said their "journey has little to do with traditional religious institutions" (from their mission statement). Feel free to email Ms. Julia with your opinion, and me too for that matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment