Sunday, July 4, 2010

Father Sibley on his 4th of July Homily

"In reference to my homily on July 4th, you can read 
the text of the homily where Pope Benedict spoke
of the establishment of the Pontifical council for
the New Evangelization here
 
I drew most of the points from my homily from the first 
response of the Pope to the  questions posed to him
by the US bishops during his visit to the States.
You can read the texts of all of Pope Benedict’s speeches
and  homilies during his apostolic visitation 
to America in 2008 in the  book Pope Benedict in America.   
 
Here is the link to Archbishop Chaput’s challenging talk 
in the liturgy.I think it is one of the best things
on the liturgy I have read in years.I think you can 
actually make a connection between Benedict’s 
comments on the  “individualism and eclecticism” 
of American Catholicism and the approach of many
to the liturgy. They want to have their own special 
liturgy, one fashioned to their own tastes and preferences,
rather  than receiving the liturgy givento us by the Church.
Of course,  Ratzinger makes this point exactly in 
his now classic The Spirit of the Liturgy."


( I apologize for the choppy layout of this post- its been one of those tenchnological moments here! - Amy)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment