Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Letter of Farewell from Sister Mavis

On August 2004, as I was helping Srs. Fatima and Nina prepare for their first vows, and Srs. Chhanda and Moyna transition into their second year of novitiate, my Congregation, the Sisters of Our Lady of Sorrows, was preparing to open the very first community in the diocese of Lafayette. Needless to say, it was a busy time for us! Now, six years later, I find myself busy again as I prepare to move “up north” once again.




I am very grateful to Fr. Chester and to you, the people of Our Lady of Wisdom – parishioners, students, staff – for having welcomed me (and our sisters) as you have. You have been loving, kind, supportive, generous, and simply fun to be with – and I thank you for that. I cherish all that I’ve been able to experience and to accomplish in these past 6 years: I was part of the first OLS community to ever live in the diocese of Lafayette; I completed my mandate as novice director for our community; I earned a degree from UL Lafayette and began working towards being a licensed counselor; I became a certified Spiritual Director; I was here for the birth of my little niece (I was in Shreveport, Rome or Bangladesh when the other eight came into this world), and I was part of the best homecoming float-making crew ever!!!



Part of religious life is going where we are asked to go, and doing what the Congregation needs - and while it saddens me to leave this place, faith and experience tell me that “all will be well”. Know that I will carry you and the memories of this beautiful place in my heart as I go forward to live this new adventure the Lord has prepared for me. I ask that you remember me in your prayers and I assure you that I will keep you in my daily prayer.



May Our Lady of Sorrows and Blessed Elisabetta Renzi be with you,

and may our Lord bless each of you with His peace.



Love,

Sr. Mavis
____________________________________________


We Love you Sister Mavis!
This Sunday after the 11am Mass we will be having a small pot luck reception to say our goodbyes to Sister Mavis. Please come and if you can bring a dessert or a side to share (for about 20 ppl).

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOU SISTER MAVIS!!!!!
    This that this Sunday as in the 1st of August???

    <3 nikki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sor Mavis, you were a great friend to me while I was in Lafayette. I always loved running into you! I hope that I get to visit you again the future! I'm sure one day me and Sr Fatima will visit you!

    God Bless!
    Blake

    ReplyDelete