Sunday, February 8, 2009

Uprising against the CONDOMnation


This Friday on Campus an organization called Women Organizing Women will be hosting there annual Valentine Condom Event. Yes, the day before Valentines day, known as a day of excessive passion and love (and perhaps careless love-making) 'goodie' bags will be handed out by this group containing chocolates, valentine cards and among other things- Condoms. This organization has been fighting for 5 or so years now to have permission to hand out condoms on campus and they are slowly getting their way. This year they will have some opposition.

The Catholic Student Organization will also be out on campus this Friday handing out Abstinence information, flowers, and among other things- the Truth. I have asked (and am asking) any and everyone who feels compelled to help us with this effort to contact me. I want everyones help of course but I have a special job for the guys. I'm asking all of our men to dress in their best suit, or shirt and tie and to simply go out on campus giving out our information, a flower, a sticker with the message "I'm worth waiting for" and an invitation to a community where the truth of 'saving sex' is upheld and strived for. As a woman, I can't think of a better witness to a life of Abstinence than a nice, intelligent, clean cut man who wants nothing more than a woman of God who's willing to wait.

We wont be out there to start a fight, which is why I didnt reserve a table next to W.O.W. on Rex Street. I did however get permission for us to be everywhere (and I do mean everywhere) on campus- handing out flyers and flowers and an invitation to our next Bible Study- All day.
Our Bible Study on February 18th will be about the dignity of Sexuality...a look through the Scriptures at the Theology of the Body.

Why are we doing this you might ask? You might have heard the 'statistics' about condoms so many times that you are starting to buy into the lie. Any sincere study of the facts however shows that Condoms are not 100% effective in 'preventing' pregnancy and therefore lead to MORE unwanted pregnancies and more abortions. Condoms are not effective in protecting from the vast majority of STD's that we know exist, certainly not HPV which can cause cervical cancer and infertility (why do you think the push for this horrible vaccine has been so popular?- because the rubbers aint doin the trick thats why). They are 'effective' alot of the time WHEN they are used correctly - which as you can imagine in a nervous moment isn't -most- of the time.

But here is the final and overwhelming truth of why we want to stand up against this front and something you can share with those who will no doubt begin to toss pamphlets of numbers about 'safe sex' at you:

Even if Condoms were 100% effective 100% of the time - The Church would still not condone their use. Why? because the truth is the meaning of your body is greater than that. You are 'Wonderfully Made' as the Psalmist tell us- and that means the marital act which is a beautiful and fruitful image of communion and an earthly reflection of the trinitarian God is not meant to be treated like a disposable event. You are worth more than a night of frivolous activity and a false promise. You are not an animal and we do not believe we have to give you contraception because "you will do it anyway". You are a child of God standing on 2000 years of tradition and truth with a 'great cloud of winesses' cheering you on.

So stand up for what you know is true- even if you've faltered in the past- and help us to share the dignity of their bodies with the rest of the campus.

aelemoine@gmail.com - contact me if you want to help in any way.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Amy for standing up against this group! And standing up for what God has called us to. I think people are so comfortable now with the idea of sex before Marriage. I think that it's terrible and what a wasteful thing is to give away something that is so beautiful, for a brief moment of pleasure. I think people need to be aware of just how much power they have in that one act and to reserve that for a holy and sacred event will allow you to achieve Joy! Not just mere pleasurable feelings.

    C.S. Lewis put it greatly:
    "...joy is never in our power and pleasure often is."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I really find your note heart warming. And I feel like we are all so blessed to have someone who will do anything to keep me and my other classmates around. But I have to admit that I am one of those people who have probably drifted off of the physical properties of campus more and more. But I want you to know that this decision(s) have never been out of a lack of ministering nor sense of maturity. It is simply that my day consists of classes, a butt-load, of homework, internships, then a better paying job all on top of that. And when I am not doing any of those you best be sure I am taking a nap! I know that this sounds like a load of excuses, but I am extremely nervous about graduating and about securing a job. I am not graduating in a highly accepted field and there fore I feel the need to invest my time in these internships, seminars, and lectures. Not to say that I can speak for everyone, but I can speak for myself in this matter. I want you to know that I am thoroughly impressed with the activities going on at Wisdom and I will say once again that I feel like no one holds a light to UL's Catholic Ministry. But right now I couldn't sleep at night if I went to a Wisdom function over something that may secure a job. But I will go to what I can and I have continued meeting with spiritual directors at Wisdom in the meantime. But please I ask for your patience and understanding of those of us who are a little more nervous than others about our future events.

    ReplyDelete